Friday, July 16, 2010

From Williston, ND

July 14, 2010

It's been a few days since I updated this so here goes. Arrived in the 'Land of purple mountains and amber waves of grain' on the 14th. Went as far as Havre, MT and stayed at the Emporium RV park. Opened up the camper and found out the bed was wet. I won't bore you with the details, but we got everything dried out.

This campground was right on the highway and behind it was a railroad switching yard. It was not quiet but I slept better than I did in the motel in Nanton.

July 15, 2010

We are now in Williston, ND and the Central Time Zone. While we have been moving east, and not doing in stopping except for bathrooms, food and gas, we have noted that the 'Amber waves of grain' are becoming amber. Lots of grain fields and hay fields. They are in the middle of 'hay season' and the fields and roadsidhes are littered with hay bales. They even mow and bale the shoulders and medians of the highways here.

We are traveling RT 2 east and while it is a two lane road, with speed limits of 65-70 mph we are making good time. Our only problem yesterday is a shattered window on the car. Evidently as we were passing a bush hog, a rock was thrown against the window. Can't get it fixed until Tuesday in Duluth, MN and we are afraid it will drop out and get glass all over the car. We have taped both the inside and outside of the window. While it may drop out, it will not put glass over everything. Moving on today.

1 comment:

  1. The broken glass is a bummer!

    I am at Va Beach and it is HOT here! The heat index was over 100 today, but the waters of the Chesapeake Bay were nice and cool. Thursday I went down to the boardwalk by the Atlantic Ocean and the waves were pretty rough. It was also incredibly crowded. I spent a couple hours there, before checking in to my motel and getting dinner.

    I decided that today I would go the First Landing and swim in the Bay, which has no big waves. It was partly cloudy and hot as hell!

    Before going down to the beach I went to a fabulous quilt shop I had found online. Then after the beach I got a seafood meal at Lynnhaven Marina and back to the motel.

    I plan to swim more tomorrow (with my rash guard shirt on to prevent additional sunburn) and then drive home. Travel safely, old people!
    Love ya!
    Gale

    ReplyDelete