Thursday, July 22, 2010

Looking for Ancestors


The Pierce School

July 21, 2010

We got the tires replaced on the camper and started south toward Manchester around 11:30. We skipped Washtenaw and decided to come to Maumee and camp for 3 nights instead of two and I would go back to Michigan to search for the ancestors. Called Jill and as it worked out she is off this week. She came over and we had a good visit. It was decided that Joyce would spend the day with her and I would go hunting by myself.

July 23, 2010

Today was a really good day. Jill came and picked Joyce up and I went to Manchester where my great grandfather had died. After talking to some people, by telephone and in person, I went to what was known as the Old Pierce Farm on Parr Road. Talked to the present owner and found out that he had purchased it in 1952 and the previous owner was a William Pierce. Took some pictures and went back to Manchester for lunch. Stopped at the Whistle Stop Cafe for lunch. As I was eating an elderly gentleman approached the cash register and I asked if he knew a community called Sharon in the area. He wanted to know if it was I that had called him earlier. It was. His name is Harold Parr, age 90, and active in their Historical Society. We went to the Blacksmith which was now the historical society's office to look at an 1880 atlas that was published with items about each township within the county.

He was unable to locate it there but said he had one at home and invited me to come look at it. The Atlas was of no help, but he pulled out a 1915 map of
Sharon Township that show all the parcels of land and the owners. I found my grandfather, Edward M. Pierce, on the map. There was also a school on the property called the Pierce School. It seems Henry Ford bought out all the landowners in that area, tore down all the buildings and converted it to a huge Mega Farm. Mr. Ford took a liking to the school and left it standing. It is in disrepair but made of Manchester Brick and still stands. So I was able to find his farm. On the way back to town we stopped at the Gillet Cemetery to look at the headstones. We were amazed but I was able to find my Great Grandfather Mowry Pierce, both of his deceased wives. Also found his brother's (Myron Pierce) with wife and 4 children. Myron outlive all his children and died at the age of 112.

Like I said, it was a good day and I actually succeeded my expectations. Tomorrow I may go back up toward Ann Arbor and try to find my Great-Great Grandfather Nathan Pierce. Joyce will spend the day with Jill helping her prepare food for her son's birthday party that evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment