Sunday, May 9, 2010

May 8, 2010

We are now in Foss Lake State Park,OK about 60 miles from the Texas Border. Other than one idiot who passed me on the right side as I was moving over one lane, it was an uneventful trip. Stopped at the WalMart in El Reno and bought a few things that we needed. Joyce has seen lots of wildflowers today. I have seen lots of highway. We did have a special treat this evening as we drove around the park and the adjacent Nahitisha Wildlife Preserve. We saw several “Split-tailed Flycatchers”. They are the state bird of Oklahoma and quite pretty. Unable to use the internet tonight since my data plan is on roaming. Hopefully tomorrow I can post this to my blog.

Of interest is that Foss Lake has 60 miles of shoreline and a surface area of 8300 acres. The dam is 3 miles long and 124 ft. tall. When it was built in 1962 it was one of the largest earthen dams. There is also a small Bison herd here, which we have not seen, behind the Park Office.

Before statehood this area was an Indian reservation, but I am not sure of which tribe or tribes.

No comments:

Post a Comment